Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recreating The Control Panel

As I mentioned in a previous post, Bender from BYOAC was kind enough to send me his old Donkey Kong control panel so I could make an exact copy. Even though I wanted to finish painting the cabinet over the long weekend, I decided to get this part of the project completed since I didn't have that much time to work and I also want to get the control panel back to Bender as quick as I can.

Here is what I started with:

This should have been very very easy but of course, the old control panel was made out of 9/16" plywood which Home Depot doesn't carry. In order to get the required 9/16" thickness I decided to use 1/2" MDF as the base and then laminate the top with 1/16" black ABS plastic.

The first thing I did was trace the outer shape of the control panel onto the sheet of MDF.

Then I cut it out with the jigsaw leaving about 1/8" around the edges.

After that was finished I used some double sided tape to secure the old control panel to the MDF and then cut the exact shape out using my router and a pattern cutting bit.

Next up - laminating the MDF panel I just cut out, mounting the joystick and a bunch of other fun stuff!

More later.

No comments: